About the Opportunity
- Food Sharing collects excess food from local businesses and re-distributes this food to the community. The team facilitator is the main point of contact for a particular business and organises the team of volunteers who collect and re-distribute the food.
- The tasks involved include keeping the volunteer rota up to date, accompanying new volunteers on their first food collection, facilitating a positive relationship with the food business, and collecting food weight data from volunteers.
- Food Sharing relies on volunteers to save food from waste! The role of team facilitator enables effective communication between Food Sharing, our businesses and volunteers and is essential to the organisation.
- This is a unique opportunity to gain volunteer management experience in a sustainable non-profit organization. Working closely with businesses to reduce waste provides an in depth understanding of issues surrounding food waste and Scotland’s food system.
Skills and Experience
We need team facilitators who are friendly, enthusiastic and well organized! You must be able to use google drive and respond to emails on a regular basis.
- Food Sharing businesses are located all over central Edinburgh. Please get in touch and we can match you with a business that is convenient for you.
- Most food collections happen in the early evening, but it varies depending on the business. Our weekly planning meetings happen every Monday at 6pm on Guthrie Street – these are optional but team facilitators are encouraged to attend!
- The role requires 4 hours of commitment per week – which will be split between meeting volunteers at the business and small admin tasks such as updating the volunteer rota, filling in the food weight spreadsheet and responding to emails.
- A minimum commitment of 2 months is desirable.
- Own transport is not needed to collect food (most volunteers collect food on foot or by bike) but we unfortunately cannot reimburse travel expenses.
- Team facilitators are given a full induction session before starting the role. All team facilitators are eligible to apply for training with Food Sharing, such as volunteer management, carbon literacy and food hygiene.
- This role is fully supported by the Project Facilitator at Food Sharing, who is always on hand if you have any questions or need advice.
How to Apply
- To apply, please tell us why you would like to apply for the opportunity and what qualities and experience you would bring to the role. Please send this via email to email@example.com
- After receiving your application, we will send you the list of available businesses to choose from. We will then ask you to come in for an informal chat and give you a volunteer induction.
If you have any questions about the role, don’t hesitate to get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org